Recently I've been
thinking a lot about my Borderline diagnosis, and though I have some
of the traits, I doubt that I really fit the diagnostic criteria.
From the way I got the diagnosis in the first place it makes me feel
like I'm making mental illness into an achievement, but I know I
had good reasons for doing what I did at that time, even though
it was sort of immoral and stupid. It's bad to cheat on a math test
in school, but cheating on a diagnostic test for a personality
disorders is just... I can't think of a word for it.
I had read up quite a bit
about this disorder before hand, self diagnosed myself and lied to
the psychologist who did the test on me. I did it cause I felt so
very helpless after seven years in contact with the psychiatry
without getting any help at all. I found out about DBT and I just
knew I had to go to that therapy. So I found a way to get
permission to do so.
Now I can't help but
wonder, would I still have gotten the diagnosis if I hadn't lied? And
stupid as I was (just can't stress the word “stupid”
enough here...) I didn't think about that I during the therapy had to
keep up those lies. That was when I still lived in Uppsala and went
to the DBT there. When I later moved to Gotland and started over in a
new group and with a new psychologist my lies started to rift.
My then new DBT psychologist is a very smart and kind woman who
really knows her stuff. She also has some knowledge about Asperger
since she used to work at the neuro-psychiatric department i Visby
before.
It felt as if she saw
right through me when she started to say that most of my
problems I brought up during our sessions stemmed from my Asperger
traits, and not from Borderline traits. If it is true that I've
been misdiagnosed, I will still keep quiet about my mischief,
cause I still believe it's helpful in some ways. Dreading the day I
will have to open up and speak the truth about everything. I even
slipped once, I don't remember what I said, but she asked me "are
you hearing voices?" and I quickly got a little snappy and
cryptic which might not have been the best way to deal with the
situation. I replied "would you write it up in my medical
record if I said yes?" and she said she couldn't answer
that, to which I replied "well, in that case: no, I don't
hear any voices" to which she gave me a snarky look in
disbelief.
I have ever since not been
able to let go of the query if she did write something about that in
my medical record. All the time I have to cover for Anna, Vargyl,
Satan, the whispers and the raspy voices by saying that I just have a
very cluttered mind. And if you squint a little, that could
almost be considered partially true, since the voices are indeed
inside my mind, cluttering it. But it's not just the voices I lie
about. My ever so present delusions, halfly slipping into psychosis.
I had a whole weekend fighting off imaginary lice and ignoring
talking curtains, talking out loud in long conversations with Vargyl
who I actually believed was real at that time. He is a green skinned
goblin from World of Warcraft. Of course he's not bloody real.
So I suppose you could legitimately call that a psychosis.
Another time I lived on
crackers for two weeks cause I was terrified of going outside, I had
no other food, because I truly believed people could see me in
my true demonic form when they looked at me.
Yet another time I
believed I had entered another dimension. A world that was an almost
exact replica of the real world, but I was absolutely confident it
wasn't the real world I was in anymore.
Then we have this strange
thing when I let Anna take over and control my body, as some form of
mental shift. First I thought it was a dissociation/a multiple
personality thingy, but now I'm pretty sure it was rather a delusion,
or a depersonalisation.
I have almost every
listed trait of Schizophrenia, and I don't doubt for a second that if
I was to come clean about all of this I'd get that diagnose. I've
known that on and off since I was 12 and I guess the coin finally
fell into place. Sure my hallucinations and delusions are fairly mild
and harmless, or maybe I'm just a harmless person, but the thing is
that it's very hard for me to pin exactly what is real and not. That,
is also a symptom. I'm never sure, and as soon as something seems out
of place I immediately start questioning it's validity. I don't think
I'll ever be able to understand the full extent of what really is
hallucinations of everything I perceive.
Well, this truly is an
itch I cannot scratch. Self diagnosing gives me a little tunnel
vision, but I've never before been so sure about a diagnose as
with this one. I've never felt that sting in my gut like that
before. I've always known. Even as a 12 year old I connected the fact
that I heard voices with Schizophrenia, even though I was way too
young and uneducated to fully understand what I was dooming myself
with. But I was right all along. If this really is true, then I was a
very early onset at the young age of 9. It's not impossible, I heard
about a fairly recent case of a 7 year old that got diagnosed, it's
very, very rare though. And even if I someday get diagnosed, I
doubt they would consider it as I would have had it basically my
whole life. This is also why I reconsider my Borderline diagnosis.
Schizophrenia would completely replace it. So as of now, I
just keep until due time. Handy, but imperfect.
This post became slightly
longer than I intended. Sorry 'bout that. The title is inspired from
the movie “Girl, interrupted”.
No comments:
Post a Comment