I'm trying out a really quite complicated colour combination for drawing Bellatrix Lestrange's skin in my Harry Potter characters' drawing. The colours I used were in this order: satin, then add warm grey 1, then dusky pink over warm grey 1, blend with satin. Then add warm grey 2 and sunkissed pink, blend with dusky pink and satin. Then add warm grey 3 and sunkissed pink again, blend with dusky pink and satin. Then add warm grey 4 and tan, blend with sunkissed pink, dusky pink and satin.
Now I'm letting my test on that technique/colour combination dry so that I can see the final result before I decide if I should go with it. I watched a youtube video yesterday from one of those I follow there and he used satin, dusky pink, coral and cinnamon for colouring a caucasian guy he had drawn. So I got inspired using dusky pink and satin for the two lightest shades instead of blush and ivory as I usually do. For a more muted, cooler pinkish skintone I think this is kinda perfect, but I just want to be sure before I start. And it's a lot of pens to keep track of (eight) and to remember to use them in the right order.
It's good that this kind of paper that I use (Letraset's bleedproof marker paper 70g/m2) can take quite a lot of ink before it starts dissolving. It's really thin but must be impenetrable somehow. And it has like a very thin film on the backside of each piece of paper that also protects it from the ink bleeding through it. That's why I can't draw on its backside, the ink doesn't stick there. But it wouldn't be of any use to draw on both sides anyway, cause the ink shows through quite a lot.
I always keep another piece of paper underneath the paper I'm drawing on though, cause it bleeds a tiny, tiny amount if I use a lot of colour or the pen is extra runny or something, also sometimes it goes over the edges so it's good to have a piece of paper underneath for that reason too.
Yeah, I decided to draw a few Harry Potter characters, sometime yesterday around noon. I chose Bellatrix, Lucius Malfoy and Severus Snape as those are three of my favourite characters in the books/movies. At first I thought I was gonna draw Sirius Black instead of Lucius, but then changed my mind as I wanted a bit variation to the colour scheme. Otherwise it would have been three dark and broody characters, so I think it will be a nice contrast with a platinum blonde in the middle.
I do have a lot more than just three favourites from that fantasy world though. Well, my absolute first thought was to draw Ron, Harry and Hermione, but then I thought I should try to be a tad bit more original than that. Would be fun to draw Ron though, because red hair. But I can always do that in another drawing. I guess he's my favourite of those three main characters, at least in the beginning. And Rupert Grint was/is such an good actor, in my opinion. Unlike Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry. Not much against him though, I even had a slight crush on him in my childhood/early teens. And I thought it was interesting that we were born the same year.
Haha, still can't help that I'm envious he turned out a lot more handsome than I did. I guess he had better genes or something. Although, that's just my opinion, some might disagree that he's more handsome than I am, I don't know. But I did compare myself a lot to him as I grew up and kept watching the Harry Potter movies. And that Harry, his role, was a tad bit like me in some aspects too. And just that pale white skin, dark hair and green eyes was very familiar features. I guess he was one of the first celebrities I felt some kind of connection to. That wasn't just me having a stupid crush, but something more as well.
However, I did struggle a bit with my sketch of Bellatrix yesterday. At first it was her nose and mouth that I just couldn't get decent looking. Then I think she looks too young as well (like a child or teen, and she's supposed to be an adult) but now I think it looks good enough or it will just have to do. My thought was that I'm gonna draw all three characters sort of next to each other on this A3 size paper, but it's gonna be tricky now cause I drew her slightly too big... yeah, we'll see what I'll do with that, cause I've gotten way too far to start over from the beginning again now.
I'm leaving in very soon now for seeing my psychologist so I thought I'd just drop this here and then come back later to possibly write some more. And draw more. I noticed my latest drawing of David Bowie got quite a lot of attention on facebook and some on tumblr as well, and it was to my surprise actually. I know I shouldn't measure my degree of success by others' opinions, and I don't, but it's still nice to get compliments. And I do feel proud of my work when it comes to what I draw lately, as I just keep on getting better at it, I don't do as many mistakes when working with my markers anymore and it's just pure fun.
And it wouldn't be fun if I wasn't as good as I kind of think that I am. My attitude towards drawing has changed drastically since I got these markers a couple of years ago. I have a lot more patience and I always want to explore new techniques and get even better. I don't get stuck in a rut and it's fun taking on challenges almost every time I draw something new. I like challenging myself in ways I never had the lust or energy for before.
Yeah okay, now I want to see if that colour combination can work for Bellatrix's skin tone and I think so, so better get started. And I want to get started before I take off towards the city as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment