I keep getting submerged
in political opinions, facts, argumments, agreements and
disagreements online, especially on youtube. As I become more and
more invested in that kind of thinking, it's getting all the more
difficult to take a step back and focus on other things. Even when I
play WoW, or look at non-political youtube videos, or scroll on
tumblr, draw or take silly online quizzes, my mind simply won't shut
up about it. It started out by me noticing the new transgender rights
argumments about a year ago, and for the most part I agreed with
them. I thought it was reasonable and inclusive and open-minded as
most other trans people online seemed to think as well. But then as I
started to get more involved and learning more, as well as stumbling
upon others who had the opposite opinions, I was appalled and
couldn't believe how I could have been fooled so easily. Me, getting
manipulated by those of my own community that consists of a mostly
friendly minority, or so I thought? Yeah, apparently.
Having been fucked over
like that not only aggrevated me but lead me to investigate it
further, and before I knew it I was heavily involved in everything
sjw and anti-sjw, listening to both sides of the same arguments. So
it started with transgender rights issues, but then evolved to also
include feminism, racism, freedom of speech, religion politics and a
lot of smaller issues more or less related to those. Perhaps not so
strange that I turned against the sjw movement with how much I've
always been for free speech and equality, even for the assholes of
society who hate my kind of people, whatever label or category of
mine that would be. I started deliberately exposing myself to
transphobia and homophobia, as well as ableism to some extent, online
to become more desensitised to better handle getting that kind of
crap. It would make it easier to enter certain argumments online, and
it has worked quite well so far.
My goal with that was to
be able to keep my head cool in situations where people personally
attack me, or "push my buttons" enough so that I could
respond in a calm and effective manner without letting their shit get
to me. And it has proved to be very effective, slowly over time. As
far as I and others know, the majority of the trans community agree
in various degrees with the sjw's, making us opposing them quite few
in numbers. Or possibly that we aren't fewer, just less likely to
speak up about it. The few of us who do though, tend to get a lot of
shit from our own community, although I've somehow managed to dodge
that so far. I'm sure it won't last forever and people will most
likely start turning against me too eventually. Somehow that's a risk
I'm willing to take. Of course I don't want to make enemies over
something as stupid as politics, which is why I keep making an effort
to not resort to verbal abuse/harrassment when arguing with those who
do not agree with me. They're perfectly allowed to disagree with me,
but I will not accept them forcing their opinions on me. But
sometimes I do not succeed with that if the person's skull is
particularly thick and they're especially overly sensitive towards
almost literally everything I say or potentially could say.
My agenda doesn't include
catering to their over-sensitivity by extreme sugar-coating or
avoiding a lot of words that they don't like hearing, but explaining
why I think they're misinformed and why their entire ideology is
harming people, but they manage to get offended by me and others like
me simply breathing. Yet they keep offending me. So I admit I've gone
a little too far at a few times without initially intending to. Sure,
I've got to work on my tactics of discussion too, never said I
didn't.
I did start to question my
stance on feminism about a few months or so ago, and although I'm
still not entirely sure where exactly I stand in regards to that or
which label would actually be correct for me to use for myself, I can
now say that I know enough to firmly ditch the "feminism"
label. Not cause of not wanting gender equality, but actually because
I do want gender equality. Apparently it's a hell of a lot more
confusing than I used to think, under the surface, and it actually
just comes down to the difference between what each organisation
claims to stand for versus what they actually stand and work for
achieving. As simple, and as complicated, as that. But then I also
have more reasons to stand against feminism, which I'm not gonna get
into detail with right now, but things such as that it treats
especially trans men quite badly in most types/sub-categories of it,
and of course TERF's (trans exclusionary radical feminists) treat
trans women extremely badly. So, what labels I'd use instead is
probably something along the lines of egalitarian, MRA -supporter
(men's rights activist) and anti-feminist. With the reasoning that
although feminism claims to stand for gender equality, what they
actually stand for is women's rights, and only women's rights. Sure,
they subtley pretend to care about men's rights too, but they haven't
done anything to prove that in the slightest. It's basically a
publicity stunt to get more followers, and apparently it's been
working exceptionally well for decades. Of course I too stand for
women's rights, but not to the cost of men's rights.
So, when I say
"anti-feminist" I don't mean I'm against gender equality, I
only mean I'm against the feminist movement/organisation itself and
what they truly stand and work for. Feminism is an ideology, but it's
not the only ideology that represents gender equality. So whenever
you hear the term "anti-feminist" being thrown around, it
is not the same as "sexist" or being against gender
equality, but that is what a lot of people think. Egalitarian does
truly stand for gender equality, but it's not an organisation that
works for it. It's just a label to describe people who believe men
and women should have equal rights and responsibilities, advantages
and disadvantages. So it's more a descriptive word than an
organisation that has group meetings and riots. As far as I know it
doesn't. And I recently adapted the "MRA -supporter" label
to emphasise that men's rights are being highly neglected in society
and the MRA's get a lot of shit for just wanting for men to not be
discriminated against by the law, so they kinda need every extra
supporter that they can get and I'll gladly be one. Just in case I
have to clarify, no they're not misogynists or hateful towards women,
or wanting more rights than women although they're often portrayed
that way. They stand for women's rights too, but the difference is
that they mostly speak up for men's rights because literally no one
else does. And they did want to work together with feminists, but the
feminists didn't even want to listen to them.
However I'm not sure if I
really need 3 different labels for one way of thinking, but to me
they're all reasonable and resonate with me. I guess I could even use
them interchangably, or in different situations depending on the
context. Or something like that. I kind of unavoidably got into that
feminism/anti-feminism heap of things as a result of digging deeper
into trans rights and the sjw movement, as the sjw's talk an awful
lot about all kinds of gender issues and not just what involves and
or affects LGBT people, and they hate on men (especially cis, white,
straight men) far more openly as an integrated part of their feminist
beliefs, than most actually reasonable feminists do. So no, not all
feminists are bad just for being feminists. But the ideology itself
still sucks. And I knew that in order to even know what I was talking
about with other people, I had to start educating myself at least in
the bigger topics of it all. Like for example, apparently the wage
gap is a myth and doesn't exist anymore since sometime in the late
90's? I had no idea about that a few months ago. Sure I still have a
lot more to learn, but I think I'm getting somewhere as it's starting
to make sense in ways I did not expect they would now. I still
probably mostly argue and discuss LGBT rights/issues above all else,
but things float together at this point.
My goal is not to silence
the sjw's and their views that I don't agree with, but to help
raising the voices of the anti-sjw's and show I'm on their side. But
truth be told? I do stand somewhere in the middle, or at least I
agree with some of what the sjw's stand for and not all of what the
anti-sjw's stand for. Maybe it's something like 30-70 with that or
something. Or 20-80 but it's certainly not 0-100 by any means. I'm
not really against non-binary, but I am against letting non-binary be
interchangable with transgender only because it harms a lot of
transgender people who don't identify as non-binary.
Because people at large
these days, when they hear the term transgender, regardless of
context, immediately jump to the conclusion that every transgender
person is non-binary and sjw and they think of those as complete
fucking morons who constantly claim victimhood, wanting to be
"oppressed", obsessed with trigger warnings, safe-spaces
and all kinds of ridiculous things that essentially makes all trans
people look really bad to the majority of people, regardless of if
they actually are or not. Like giving trans people a "bad name"
has become a vast understatement and it doesn't just apply to the
average person posting crap comments on youtube, but also teachers at
schools, doctors, psychiatrists, employers... basically just about
anyone. All kinds of trans people are suddenly being demonised by
false accusations because of the sjw's, because most of them identify
as non-binary which they claim is a form of being transgender. Thanks
a bunch.
But I still know that not
all non-binary identifying people are sjw's and not all sjw's
identify as non-binary. But then it seems everyone identifying as
non-binary regardless of their political stance wants to be included
into the term transgender for pretty much the same reason. Are they
wrong, by definition? I can't say either a clear yes or no, but
judging by the direction this has taken and the consequences of them
claiming to be transgender - I would strongly prefer it if it could
be solved in some other way that could work for both parties. But of
course it gets complicated with those who actually are trans but also
claim to be non-binary. I don't think I'd be the best person to just
sit and decide who belongs where and that's not what I'm trying to do
either. I don't have a solution to this very real and urgent problem,
but I might actually be onto something that could potentially work in
everyone's favour, but it would be disliked by most. It's a
compromise, that I know would be very hissed at, but it's not wrong
and at least in theory I think it could work, if people would be
willing to accept using terms for themselves and each other that they
don't actually want to use. It is an idea that I haven't heard anyone
ever suggest so far, on either side of the argument, so I'll keep it
to myself for now, as I'm still uncertain if bringing it up would
even be remotely helpful. Kinda need to know what I'm getting myself
into first, as it is controversal. Also how to make it known to a
large/important enough audience if I do eventually decide to take
that route, I wouldn't know either.
So that's what I'm doing
with my miserable life these days. Not even sure if it's productive,
"good" or just obsessive. But it's something, I guess. And
I also guess there are worse things I could spend my too-much-free
-time on. I believe I do have good intentions though, with the goal
to try to help "save" both the trans community and our
reputation among the general population, preferably without stepping
on too many people who disagree with me on my way. I've been wanting
to write this more thoroughly than I had up until this point, but
couldn't manage to finish a text comprehensive enough before I got
bored with it or wanting to re-write the whole lot of it. I'm aware I
left a lot of things out, but this would become a massive text that
doesn't end if I would include absolutely everything. This is more
meant to try to give the bigger picture and what's left out are just
details. I'll probably write more about it later on, as my thoughts
and feelings on these kind of topics continue to evolve and sort out
as well as getting more entangled over time. So I say, to be
continued, but I don't know when or how or if things will have
changed in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment