At this point I'm starting to get scared that if I become too satisfied with a drawing I will end up destroying it for absolutely no good reason on Anna's command. Her nagging about her thinking I should destroy things is getting far beyond annoying. I scream at her to shut the fuck up, throw threats around like crazy and hit things in anger and resentment for what else could I possibly do?
I've been so damn close... Anyway, I just finished another master piece of a drawing, kinda. It's Lady Sylvanas Windrunner again, but this time slightly different. It's a close up of her face and she's slightly looking over her left shoulder and there's her left hand in the picture too. I did some fairly advanced shading using another artist's drawing as a reference. I also drew it entirely without any black lines which was quite a challenge but also incredibly fun and turned out looking very neat.
I started off first with drawing her skin way too dark and with black lines, but then I realised that her very light blonde hair looked pretty iffy with those black lines, so I re-did the whole drawing from scratch again without black lines and made her skin much lighter. I was struggling a lot with how to do the background until I eventually just went for it and did something simple. I realised that there are 2 light sources in that image, one blue from behind her and then a yellow one from in front of her, so I just randomly did some blue and some yellow in the background. I hardly even knew what I was doing.
I also shaded it very differently from how I normally would have. I layered the pens ink over and over and over again to blend and smooth it as much as possible. I counted it to 12 layers just on her red hood. Well, it was red in that picture and I wanted to stay true to the colours as much as I could. It wasn't very hard to draw it all but a little bit trickier without the black lines as I only had faded pencil contours to follow.
It's still not even close to as blended as I wanted it to be, but I think it does give it a kinda cool effect as it is. The whole deal, including the first try that ended up like shit, took me 13 hours to create from scratch. I'm very glad that I did decide to re-do it when I had seen my failure, cause damn it got so much better on second try. Now it's too dark at night to take decent pictures of it so I'll wait until tomorrow before I do that.
I've been drawing almost constantly since 10:30 this morning until 23:00 this night with only 3 hours worth of breaks. I think I draw a lot more than just 10 hours a day... Now I don't know what to draw next. Perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow, perhaps I'll think of something just before I go to bed. I guess we'll see. I dug out my old drawing of Sylvanas and although I don't find it ugly or horrible in any way, I've evolved quite a lot since then.
Mostly, it's helpful to have more purple pens for drawing Sylvanas since most of her armour/clothes are in purple shades along with some grey/silver/bone details. Now I still can't decide if I should somehow credit the original artist when posting my own drawing somewhere or not. It could be a kind thing to do or something, but then I'm not a very kind person and I don't want people comparing my artwork with someone else's that could potentially be a lot better than mine.
However, I just thought another update would be in place. I know I mostly just ramble on and on about my drawing techniques on a very nerdy level, but still. I want to draw something more from WoW but I don't know what so I just keep drawing the Forsaken leader instead. I tried drawing Thrall but got bored halfway through the sketch and it became nothing of it. Besides, he wasn't detailed enough and I don't like drawing orcs for some reason. Then I thought of drawing Vol'jin, the troll leader instead, but I don't know. Maybe then it's too much detail? His armour is quite complicated.
Oh well, enough babbling for now, gotta finish this sometime although I strongly feel like I could literally go on forever like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment